02 December 2009

Day to Day

Amazingly it hasn’t been too terribly long since my last post. You all should be thrilled!
Tuesday the 24th I went for a walk into town- it was a nice day so I took some pictures of windows and things to draw when I got to the park.  I would draw them from life but it would be rather uncomfortable and there wasn’t much that interested me around the park.  I picked up Mattia from school and then got my iPhone back that night!  I was so excited.


Chopping limbs off the tree that had fallen over in the forest.

Wednesday I went to Prato Nevoso and helped chop limbs off a tree to use as garlands over the shops in part of the village.  Well I didn’t do any chopping but I did carry the limbs around.  I was happy to have something to do instead of feeling useless while everyone else worked around the office.  I also went to meet another girl who is a nanny for one of Simona’s friends.  She is from Germany but has been working in the States for the past couple of years.  We had a coffee and chatted for a bit.  I think we will be meeting up with the kiddos from time to time so they can play together a bit in the snow and we can have someone else to talk to.  I know another girl from Vermont is getting here this weekend so it will be good to meet her too. 


View of Prato Nevoso from the Bar/Cafe - View from the bottom of the slopes
Thursday-  We went to Mondovi to do a couple of things and while we were parked there was a Gelateria near by named ‘Sweet Balls’  -- this is by far my favorite thing that has happened all week.  I laughed for the longest time and took one photo from the car but HAD to get out and take one up close. (you can note my previous post for more information)  Also probably the most ‘I’m American’ I could have done.. oh well it made me happy!  So the other reason to go to town was to meet another girl who is working near by.  She is here from England and is Megan too.  We chatted over tea and hot chocolate then went to find out more information about the busses.  Now I know how to get to Mondovi without having to ask Simona to drive me or wait until she is going.  I just need a bus ticket (not too hard to come by).  OH yeah it’s Thanksgiving.. I made an apple pie!  The crust wasn’t as flaky as it should be but it was still good.. I had to use all kinds of different conversions to get the ingredients right.  I had dinner here but downstairs at Gian’s parents house b/c Simona went out for work.  Fresh pasta and sauce.  Then I waited until around 10:00pm so I could be skyped in to Thanksgiving Dinner at home with the family.  It was nice.  Maybe we can do the same for Christmas too-- that is if they don’t mind eating a little early again.

Apples! - Apple pie..

Saturday we went back to Prato Nevoso and I saw a Saint Bernard in person-- HUGE!!!  I don’t think I had ever seen one in person before.. it was awesome.  We took care of a few things at the house there and then had lunch.  Later Mattia and I played in the new Ski School office--- a lot of playing.  And sometime in the middle we went for cake and hot chocolate.. the cake was wonderful-- tart like with jam in the middle and my hot chocolate was divine-- the whipped cream was homemade.  Then more playing: spinning in circles and playing with flashing lights= a good time!  During dinner Mattia asked me if I would like a mandarin (he had just given his mom a piece of his) so I said yes of course thank you and he said that I could go and get one from the bowl.  It was hilarious… and he didn’t ask if I wanted part of his -- my assumption.

Light toy we played with for hours - my hot chocolate with cream looked better before I drank half of it.
Sunday- I didn’t feel so well and woke up too late to go to Prato Nevoso again so I watched a movie here and did some laundry.  It was yucky outside so it was nice to lounge a little bit.  Mattia and I played when he got home-- my water bottle squirts water so that was pretty fun.


 New hiding place!
Monday- cleaned and planned for my upcoming trip to Rome and Florence.  I leave Wednesday for Rome to visit my cousin there.  I haven’t seen her in about a year and a half when I left her in Rome- so it’s perfect really.  Then back to Florence because I like it there and to do a few things I didn’t get to do the time before PLUS I can do some Christmas shopping in the markets.  I’ll write more about that later but for now I have to go… someone is coming for dinner and I should probably clear out my stuff from the kitchen!

p.s. I'm sorry but I am lazy and have not edited any of the photos...

No comments: